Monday 5 April 2010

A giant creative mind!


I have been spending a great deal of time on the studio lately. This is due to a number of reasons, the major one being my latest body of work - 'Spy On Thy Neighbour'. With so much post producing, editing, and along with any attempts to create a good book and exhibition concept, that it just seems to suck up many hours a day; so I haven't had a chance to make as many pictures as I would like too... until now!

I like the way some projects just land on your doorstep. Now what I'm about to show you isn't really my style of work and it doesn't really have any indication towards my thought process when creating bodies of work, but it has given me the opportunity to make pictures and explore and study the surroundings of my little studio... ok,ok, I know, get to the point!

Well my studio is located in an old dance hall, a dance hall that has been converted into a number of 'artist' studios that are for hire on a non-profit basis (god bless!) and as you may imagine, it is a very messy building on the whole (except for my studio of course!). It shows many signs of artists work, be it from previous tenants and, of course, todays tenants. It has little indications, in every little space, in every little inch, in every little centimeter of the building that leads to the ideas of an artists thought process. Now, these thought processes are very hard to define, single out and narrow down to one particular artist but on the whole it is as if all of these little 'indications' are the creation of something bigger; it is now as if the building itself, is a giant think box and its interiors are the insides of a creative brain. A never clean, always thinking brain that consistently makes and creates ideas and concepts but often leaves such imaginations, such ideas and concepts half finished, yet never forgotten.

So here is the start of an exploration into a 'giant creative mind!' I have decided to shoot the project on polaroid. I felt it only right to use this 'single shot' process as to 'pay homage' toward the many ideas that are 'a fleeting moment in a creative mind'. A moment that can only be caught once, a moment that can never be recreated, nor take place again.







No comments:

Post a Comment