Wednesday 7 April 2010

Bias views on photographers from the Welsh Arts Council


I have just spoken to the welsh arts council with regards to funding I require in order to carry out a project this summer. I explained its historical and cultural relevance and how important it was to record such an issue. The nice lady I spoke to really seemed like she wanted to help, until I named my game - 'I am a documentary Photographer' I said. Upon saying such an evil sentence she returned this reply ' We do not give money to documentary photographers as its not an art form; it is journalism and there are to many of you out there. I know that photography is... you know, but we would not award the money for that I'm afraid... sorry, try a local paper or something like that to see if they will help'.

Now like I said, she was a nice lady and she does not set the rules, but, however, It seems a little bias that photography is shunned by local and national authorities and organizations; yet all other art forms are excepted. I even tried to explain that what I was doing was not photojournalism and would not be a number of images put together to create a narrative, but they are conceptual portraits. Alas, it was no use.

This whole process does concern me though, as living in Wales, I find it increasingly hard to gain any strong standing research or work surrounding such an important cultural issue as to the one I am trying to tackle and record. It leads me to think what else has been missed or lost in the past due to ignorance of a visual medium. I mean after all, I don't mean to sound like I'm putting down other art forms here, but not a sculpture, nor clay pot, nor poem, nor video installation would capture histories great tales like the photograph would, and does!

I'm not bitter about not getting the money [although it would have been nice and put an end to the search for financial help] but more towards the idea of what great work never makes it past the proposal stage... still at least the council commissioned some artist to make what looks like a giant stick and hoop and place it outside the city central library. THAT WAS WELL WORTH THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I do see where you are coming from, but unfortunately in this day and age there are a lot of ill-informed people in administrative positions who won't (or can't) see the difference between documentary photography, photojournalism and the parasitic blight on the photography world known as paparazzi. Rather than use the phone, I would maybe put a "business case" together with examples of similar works and forego the phone altogether. The one thing about phonecalls is you are constantly looking for an opportunity to end them so that you can get on with the work you already have. The paper route will take longer, but may be harder to dismiss out of hand.
    Thanks to section 44 and the anti-terror laws as a whole, we're all on the defensive - trying to prove that we're not all terrorists. It's not going to be a fun few years. If you look at my photo's you'll notice just how few people feature in them - I actively avoid people when I have my camera now - I wish I didn't feel like I had to.

    Gav
    www.techbeast.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHAH! Dave, this is funny.

    ReplyDelete